– As well as Covid-10, this century we’ve had a long list of diseases spilled over from animals.
– The number is increasing in recent years owing to population increase, global travel and trade, and also in the ways modern farming forces humans, animals and microbes together.
– Scientists have demonstrated a link between intensive poultry production and the emergence of highly pathogenic forms of avian flu, and a link between intensified pork production and swine flu.
– Infectious disease is not the only consequence of industrialised farming. Others include antimicrobial resistance and elevated greenhouse gas emissions.
– To avoid pandemics in the world we need to take a long, hard look at our relationship with the natural world, and particularly with other animals.
– We need to acknowledge that we are manufacturing our own diseases, start talking about our lifestyle choices and the industries that satisfy them.
– The time to do that is now.